Monday, October 13, 2008

Dukes

MADISON, JAMES MADISON
WE ARE THE DUKES OF JMU
MADISON, JAMES MADISON
THE FIGHTING DUKES OF JMU

FIGHT FOR GLORY
HONORS WON
BRIGHTEN THE LIGHTS OF MADISON
FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT

MADISON, JAMES MADISON
SHOW YOUR COLORS
PROUD AND TRUE
WE ARE THE DUKES OF JMU

On Saturday, I went to a football game for my alma mater. How I have missed it. The sea of purple and gold. The chants. The energy. The streamers. That one guy you could always count on to wear the funny hat and socks. I love this time of year, but I especially love reconnecting with my not so distant past. I graduated in 2005 and went back for two homecomings but missed it last year and will not be going this year. I have started to feel old, I mean the current class of college freshman were born in 1989 and 1990. The game wasn't all played well, but in the end we won. I cheered and screamed myself hoarse. I can't believe it's been so long. I've missed it. I really have.

It was Wiggly's first experience at a football game. He only stayed for the first quarter. Sweet boy was exhausted from his photo shoot that morning and went home to take a much needed nap. He was all decked out in his purple and gold. I hope he loves this season as much as we do.

Bubby and I will be traveling to his former University in November to see another football game. I'm so excited. I love how it all feels. The air getting crisp. The changing of the leaves. The tailgates and grilling. The beer. The hope for another season. Football heroes new and old. The roar of the crowd. All over the US right now, students and alumni are cheering on their favorite teams. I love the sense of unity.

I was able to meet up with a few friends from my college days. I've kept in good contact with one and not so good with the other. It was lovely to see them both. Amazing people, they are, and much missed. Going in their own directions, leading their own paths. It's what adulthood has brought us. C kept saying, "You're a real grown up. You're married and you have a baby." We can't go back and do it again, we're too old now, too grown, too removed. But for a day, we could relive our college years. Or at least for me, I could have just that day.

It's been too long, it was good to feel home again. J-M-U DUUUUUUUKES!

No comments: