Friday, September 19, 2008

Friends & Such

So things at work have been not so wonderful of late. Office politics can put a huge damper on the day, week, month. Too many coworkers have mentioned to me that they are disgruntled and unhappy. It's a serious bummer. Who wants to work in a world like that? Makes it difficult to get up each morning and go to work. What's worse, we're in the field of social work. We help people. So why is it, then, that we cannot help one another? A smile. A hello. Telling one another something nice. When problems arise, saying something to impact positive change. It's baffling and frustrating. I wish, oh how, I knew the exact right way to make things better.

What is better? I have wonderful friends. Too many to name, but amazing they all are. They never fail to remind me I am loved and needed by them. It seriously makes life worthwhile. Of course I love my husband and my beautiful son, but a girl needs pals as well.

I just wish they lived closer. Especially a few who live in other states, clear across the country nd even some in other countries. Telephone calls and letters aren't the same, but they help. Actual human contact is so needed. In a world where almost everything we do can be done via cyberspace, it is so wonderful to receive a piece of mail.

I spoke with my best friend today for close to an hour. I think it lifted my spirits exponentially. She is a wonderful person and I miss her dearly. I actually sent her a list of ten reasons why she should live closer to me. Alas, her husband is bravely serving in the military and thus, their station is not up to me, or her. We wait, and hope, though. We may live nearer eventually. I pray her children can grow up with mine. She's amazing. I miss her everyday.

She's not the only one. It's difficult to work in a sometimes hostile environment and come home to a place where few friends reside. I lean on them, my friends, for their support, their encouragement, their willingness to listen, their openness, their joy, their ability to point out my weaknesses and help me through, their shoulder to cry on, their hopefullness, their love. They make me smile and my heart feels good.

Wherever you are, my friends--you know who you are--I love you and thank you.

I am blessed. Lest I ever forget. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I was feeling a little in the dumps today and I was like ooo I haven't read Mannana's blog in a long time and so I logged on. This made my whole day turn around. It's rough not having friends around, but I couldn't have enough here to ever equal one of you.

You are my rock. I love my husband and he's my whole world, but I could not live life without you Manda.

I'm so sorry I haven't gotten to see Wiggly yet. I hate being so far away and that I took for granted all that time we were so close and didn't see eachother.

I love you so much! You are truly my best friend forever and ever!