Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fur Babies

I've talked quite a bit about my husband and my son, but I haven't really talked about my first babies: my dogs.


We rescued Ruby in July 2006, when she was approximately six months old. She is a hound mix of some sort and is the most timid dog I've ever met. She is amazingly sweet and affectionate, but she never licks your face. She likes to curl up into a tight ball and sleep in a corner pressed up against something. She commandeered the oversized chair in our family room long ago and will look at you beseechingly if you are sitting in it. She loves it when my husband does not sleep in bed with me, because it means she can sleep on his side. She is *my* dog to the core. She will follow me from room to room and will not rest until I do. Poor thing wears herself out on the days I'm cleaning house. She can be super annoying and destructive, but gosh darn it, I love that dog. And I know, she loves me more than anything in the world.

I bought Rosie for Bubby's birthday last year. She is a pure bred Siberian Husky and she was 13 weeks old at the time (her birthday is 7.7.07!). I surprised Bubby and told him we had to go for a 3.5 hour drive to get his present. He loved her from the moment he saw her. She is incredibly happy and sweet. She is a loving dog but not especially cuddly. She will sit on you for a little while but then she gets antsy. She isn't as hyper as we anticipated but has crazy bursts of energy. I wish I could bottle it up and use it on days when I'm really exhausted. Her two favorite places in the house are next to the sofa or behind my feet in the kitchen. She's the best vacuum cleaner you could ask for, because she'll eat anything, including flour from my baking mishaps. Her favorite snacks are carrots and apples. And, anything Ruby is eating.


Our dogs love us and eachother to pieces. People called us crazy for getting a second dog, but it was the best choice for Ruby. Ruby is a much happier and less anxious dog with Rosie around. We have had much less damage done to our home (besides the carpet) since we brought home our second furry love. They are expensive and pains at times, but I wouldn't give them up for the world. There's nothing quite like coming home to two smiling dogs with wagging tails who have been waiting patiently all day to see your face. Makes a crappy day so much better.


The reason I post all of this, is because Rosie has been quite sick for the last few days. She has a gastrointestinal disease and a parasite. Poor baby. She spent two days at the animal hospital and Bubby has been beside himself. He's gone to visit her a couple of times and is so happy she comes home today. Sweet girl, I'm so glad she's better. I can't really imagine life without her. The quiet was a little strange.

Now ask me what I think tonight when they're running around chewing on eachother!

No comments: